Tag: 新上海品茶网

TCU football one win away from bowl eligibility

first_imgGarrett Podell TCU rowing program strengthens after facing COVID-19 setbacks ReddIt Linkedin Garrett is a Journalism and Sports Broadcasting double major. He is the Managing Editor for TCU360, and his passions are God, family, friends, sports, and great food. Boschini talks: construction, parking, tuition, enrollment, DEI, a student trustee Linkedin Twitter TCU quarterback Kenny Hill looks to pass down field.(Photo By Sam Bruton/TCU 360 photographer). Garrett Podellhttps://www.tcu360.com/author/garrett-podell/ Garrett Podellhttps://www.tcu360.com/author/garrett-podell/ ReddIt printTCU is just one win away from qualifying for a bowl game.The Frogs could claim their sixth victory Saturday when they face the No.11 Oklahoma State Cowboys. “Bowl games are important not for just the game but because it means you won more than you lost,” TCU head coach Gary Patterson said. “It’s about keeping your job.”Patterson said it doesn’t matter what bowl the Horned Frogs make. “There’s not a bad bowl,” Patterson said. “We’ve been in 16 bowls in 18 years and I’d love to make it 17 of 19.”Saturday marks Patterson’s 200th game as head coach. “I’d rather get to 150 wins than coach 200 games but it’s hard to stick around at one place in college football today,” Patterson said.With a 148-51 record as head coach, Patterson is two games away from surpassing Dutch Meyer who coached 201 games. The Cowboys’ offense represents a significant challenge. OSU quarterback Mason Rudolph has the fifth-most passing yards in the nation with 3384 passing yards to go along with 24 touchdown passes and just four interceptions. “They’re probably the best passing attack in the Big 12,” TCU defensive end James McFarland said. OSU wide receiver James Washington is second in the Big 12 and eighth in the nation with 1,132 receiving yards, wide receiver Jalen McCleskey leads the Cowboys in catches with 62 and wide receiver Jhajuan Seales averages 15.9 yards per catch.However, Oklahoma State has allowed the most sacks in the Big 12, and TCU leads the Big 12 in sacks per game and is No. 2 in the country, averaging 3.78 sacks per game. OSU’s defense ranks 72nd nationally in points allowed, 29.3 points allowed per game. The Horned Frog offense was red-hot when they thumped Baylor 62-22 earlier this month.The Horned Frogs will likely lean on running back Kyle Hicks, who ran for a career-high 192 yards and five touchdowns against the Bears. “He’s been stellar all season long and we depend on him,” TCU wide receiver John Diarse said. “Kyle has a nose for making plays.”Hicks is one of five running backs in the nation with over 700 yards rushing and 300 yards receiving. Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. Saturday at Amon G. Stadium. Facebook Men’s basketball scores season-low in NIT semifinals loss to Texas Another series win lands TCU Baseball in the top 5, earns Sikes conference award + posts Facebook Listen: The Podell and Pickell Show with L.J. Collier Boschini: ‘None of the talk matters because Jamie Dixon is staying’ Garrett Podellhttps://www.tcu360.com/author/garrett-podell/ Twitter Previous articleDear World: More than a portraitNext articleBig, brown and black dogs promoted at National Adoption Weekend Garrett Podell RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Garrett Podellhttps://www.tcu360.com/author/garrett-podell/ TCU baseball finds their biggest fan just by saying hellolast_img read more

Why Arsenal rejected chance to sign Chelsea transfer target Dries Mertens

first_img Comment Why Arsenal rejected chance to sign Chelsea transfer target Dries Mertens Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterThursday 30 Jan 2020 5:58 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2.6kShares Arsenal rejected the chance to sign Chelsea transfer target Dries Mertens (Picture: Getty)Arsenal reportedly rejected the chance to sign Chelsea transfer target Dries Mertens.Belgium forward Mertens has been heavily linked with a move away from Napoli during the January transfer window.Chelsea identified the 32-year-old as a target – with Frank Lampard desperate to bolster his squad at Stamford Bridge – but look set to miss out on a January deal.Napoli are believed to be reluctant to sanction Mertens’ exit midway through the season and will only let the Belgian star leave when his contract expires in the summer.ADVERTISEMENT Arteta ‘pleased’ after Arsenal progress past Bournemouth in FA CupTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 4:22FullscreenArteta ‘pleased’ after Arsenal progress past Bournemouth in FA Cuphttps://metro.co.uk/video/arteta-pleased-arsenal-progress-past-bournemouth-fa-cup-2097240/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.Mertens also showed a reluctance to leave Napoli this month, knowing he needs to be playing regularly and to a high level to retain his place in Belgium’s squad ahead of Euro 2020.AdvertisementAdvertisementBut in a shock development, The Times say Chelsea’s London rivals Arsenal were offered the chance to sign Mertens, only to pass up on the opportunity because of his age.While Mertens, at the age of 32, could still have two or three more years at the top level, Arsenal and manager Mikel Arteta are keen to sign younger players coming into their prime.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityArteta made Pablo Mari, 26, the first signing of his Arsenal tenure this week, with the Spanish defender arriving on loan from Flamengo until the end of the season.After joining the Gunners, Mari said: ‘I’m happy to be here today and to have signed for a big club. I’m going to do my best to help my team-mates and the club.‘When I spoke to my agent, it was a big thing that Arsenal were interested in me. This is one of the best clubs in the world, so I’m absolutely delighted to be joining.‘I’m really looking forward to playing in this jersey and helping my team.’ Mikel Arteta made Pablo Mari, 26, his first Arsenal signing (Pictures: Getty)Arsenal technical director Edu added: ‘Pablo is an experienced player who will provide us with additional defensive quality.‘We have been monitoring Pablo’s career for a while and we are very pleased to have reached agreement with Flamengo for him to join us initially until the end of our season.‘Together with Mikel and his coaching team, we are all looking forward to seeing Pablo in an Arsenal shirt.’Arsenal, currently tenth in the Premier League, travel to Burnley on Sunday.MORE: Sheffield United star shuts down Arsenal transfer speculationMORE: New Arsenal signing Mari offers glowing endorsement of Arteta Advertisementlast_img read more

Phillips set for talks over future

first_img “It’s just a case of seeing who’s available, what we’ve got, what we can do, and trying to wheel and deal to the best interests of the club.” Palace could be missing at least 10 players at Villa Park, with striker Marouane Chamakh suspended. Pulis said midfield duo Kagisho Dikgacoi and Stuart O’Keefe will be a big miss against Villa for the festive clash. He said: “Chamakh has been very good, and the two midfield players who played at Chelsea as well, I don’t think they’ll be fit. “And you’re looking at one or two other injuries as well. “You’re thinking if they were fit that would make us stronger as well. “We haven’t had what I would consider the strongest group to pull from.” High winds and driving rain made Monday’s training all-but a washout, but Pulis said his players coped admirably. He said: “You expect a bit of weather in England, everybody talks about the weather in England, what surprises me is that everyone is surprised. “We just walked through stuff today instead of running through. “We couldn’t get the balls to stay still, so we walked through stuff and moved through stuff. “The players have been okay with that, they have been fine.” Pulis revealed he will hold talks with the veteran striker over his Selhurst Park situation in Birmingham, before the Boxing Day Barclays Premier League clash with Aston Villa. Palace will stay in the Midlands on Christmas night, when former Stoke manager Pulis said he and Phillips will sit down and discuss what will happen in January. Phillips has been linked with a move away from Palace in the transfer window after the New Year. One of Pulis’s first acts on arrival at Selhurst Park was to remove Phillips’ caretaker coaching role – assumed after Ian Holloway’s departure – and asking the 40-year-old to focus on goalscoring instead. “I’ve spoken to Kevin numerous times, and he was in today,” Pulis said. “We’ll have a chat on Christmas night when we’re up in Birmingham, so we’ll have a little bit more time to sit with Kev then.” Pulis admitted players must leave before he can strengthen in January, but he does not have a specific number of signings in mind yet. The Palace manager said: “I think it’s ideal when you do your business early on (in the transfer window), because there’s so many games through January. “And you don’t want to be chasing one or two at the end of the month, but that depends on who will go as well as who will come in. “There has to be a little bit of movement out to allow players to come in. Kevin Phillips could find out whether he has a future at Crystal Palace on Christmas Day, according to boss Tony Pulis. Press Associationlast_img read more

SPORTS PERSONALITY: ‘For me, karate has become like a lifestyle’ says 18-year-old Kemo Cornelius

first_imgCHARMED by the skills of martial arts movie legends like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan while growing up, 18-year-old Kemo Cornelius is definitely willing to emulate those two idols. At eight years old he started training in the combative sport of karate, now ten years later he’s quickly progressing in the sport.The youngster has been winning locally, regionally, and internationally since 2009, and has already advanced to being a 2nd Dan black belt.Cornelius is a student of the Association Do Shotokan Karate, and trains under sensei Amir Khouri.“It’s been awesome. I advanced through my belts quickly, reaching black belt, and then two years later I got promoted to 2nd Dan black belt, which I am currently. I’ve been more focused on tournaments though, so I haven’t been up for exams since.” Cornelius said when we caught up with him.Karateka Kemo Cornelius (right) with his sensei Amir KhouriAt the last Caribbean Karate Championships in Jamaica, the 18-year-old won silver in the Boys’ 17-19 individual kata.This follows a string of medals over the years, both in the individual and team divisions.At the International Karate Daigaku (IKD) World Cup in Canada, in 2015, he won four gold medals: three from team events, and one for the Boys’ 17-19 individual kata.He won another four gold medals in 2014 at the Caribbean Karate Championships, in Trinidad and Tobago, while he won three team gold medals for the Boys’ 14-16 team kata, team bunkai, and team enbu.Because of his size, it could easily be argued that Cornelius does not fit the conventional look of a karateka, but the Caribbean champion sees this as more of an asset than a liability.“Most persons when they hear karate and fighting, they think big and strong guys, so I stand out mostly with my size, which I use to my advantage where I’m really quick and agile and consistently training to improve my level,” said the former St Rose’s High student.He added, “At first it was mostly the fighting, but as I learnt more and more especially reading up a lot on Bruce Lee’s perspective of martial arts, and how it makes us better as individuals it captivated me. So for me karate has become like a lifestyle, but the competition is still really awesome.”His performances overtime have not gone unnoticed, and the Government Technical Institute student was last year honoured as a Banks DIH brand ambassador for his stellar performances.And with karate finally getting a nod from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for inclusion in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, Cornelius is more determined than ever to develop his career, and perhaps make history as being among the first to participate in the sport at the Olympics.([email protected])last_img read more