Tag: 小海棠论坛是真的吗

Action Research hit by impact of foot-and-mouth

first_imgAction Research hit by impact of foot-and-mouth Howard Lake | 9 April 2001 | News Medical research charity Action Research could lose “as much as a quarter of a million pounds in essential fundraising due to the escalating foot and mouth crisis.” Medical research charity Action Research could lose “as much as a quarter of a million pounds in essential fundraising due to the escalating foot and mouth crisis.” Find out more from Action Research. Advertisement  13 total views,  1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThiscenter_img About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThislast_img read more

Arlene Arkinson’s family tells Highland Radio News of delight at inquest date being set

first_img 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic News Facebook Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Google+ Twitter Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal Twitter Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire By News Highland – March 8, 2013 Google+center_img Arlene Arkinson’s family tells Highland Radio News of delight at inquest date being set WhatsApp Previous articleJames McGlynn tells Highland Radio News of his relief at identifying his brother after 30 yearsNext articleDonegal woman has RTC damages cut by 40% News Highland RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR An the inquest into the death of missing Castlederg teenager Arlene Arkinson has been set for April of 2014.Arlene disappeared in August 1994 after a night out at a disco Bundoran. Her body has never been found.Child Killer Robert HowardIn 2005, Robert Howard was acquitted of Arlene’s murder but the jury had not been told he had a history of sex attacks and that two years earlier he had been found guilty of murdering 14 year-old  Hannah Williams in south London.A preliminary hearing at Belfast’s Old Town Hall last month was told Howard, who is currently in Frankland prison in County Durham, may give evidence via video link.The hearing also heard that a quarter of a million pages of documents have been cleared by the PSNI for disclosure to the Coroner’s office.Speaking to Highland Radio News, Arlene’s sister Kathleen Arkinson spoke of her relief at an inquest date being set and again appealed to Robert Howard to tell the truth:[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/kathweb.mp3[/podcast] WhatsApp Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Facebook Pinterest Pinterestlast_img read more

USS Providence Receives Recognition for Execution of Operation Odyssey Dawn

first_img Share this article View post tag: Odyssey USS Providence Receives Recognition for Execution of Operation Odyssey Dawn View post tag: usa The Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Providence (SSN 719) was presented the prestigious Navy Unit Commendation (NUC) at Naval Submarine Base New London in Groton, June 7.The award recognized Providence’s participation in flawlessly executing Operation Odyssey Dawn (OOD) in 2011. OOD was a U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa and U.S. Sixth Fleet-led operation that enforced United Nations Security Council Resolutions against the government of Libya and helped establish a transitional government in Libya.Providence was one of three submarines receiving the NUC, along with the Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Scranton (SSN 756) homeported in Norfolk, Va., and the Ohio-class guided-missile submarine USS Florida (SSGN 728) homeported in Kings Bay, Ga.Capt. Vernon Parks, Commander, Submarine Development Squadron Twelve presented the award to the crew of Providence. “Job well done on supporting the president of the United States in the decision making necessary to execute that operation,” said Parks to the crew. “We bring, as a submarine force, significant capability to the president. Adm. Donald [former Director, Naval Nuclear Propulsion] in October 2012 said ‘we have a clear mission of significant importance to the defense of the United States of America – Dominate the Undersea Domain’. That’s what you did, and continue to do with the rest of the force on a daily basis.”Parks further congratulated the crew on their contributions to Operation Odyssey Dawn and added their actions resulted in a banner day for the submarine force and for the Providence.The Navy Unit Commendation was established Dec. 18, 1944 to award any ship, aircraft, detachment or other unit of the United States Navy or Marine Corps which distinguished itself in action against the enemy with outstanding heroism as seen fit by the Secretary of the Navy. The unit must have performed service of a character comparable to that which would merit the award of a Silver Star Medal to an individual.In early 2011, Providence was preparing to return to its homeport in Groton after a successful six-month deployment in the Sixth Fleet Area of Operation. The submarine was then called upon to assist with the initial strike in support of Operation Odyssey Dawn. During the operation, Providence successfully launched twelve Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles. “We can’t always predict how world events will unfold, or when the nation will call on you to defend her interests,” said Rear Adm. Ken Perry, Commander, Submarine Group 2 while addressing the crew of Providence. “But we can predict that the nation will continue to rely on the submarine force to be vigilant and ready. You were ready when called, and you did a superb job. Well done.”Providence is the first Los Angeles-class Flight II boat and the first U.S. attack submarine to be fitted with a tactical missile vertical launch system, which houses 12 Tomahawks in the bow of the boat. These missiles can be launched covertly while the submarine remains submerged.[mappress]Press release, June 10, 2013; Image: US Navy View post tag: receives View post tag: Naval Back to overview,Home naval-today USS Providence Receives Recognition for Execution of Operation Odyssey Dawn View post tag: Defence View post tag: Commendation View post tag: recognition View post tag: Execution View post tag: News by topic View post tag: Providence View post tag: Dawn Authorities June 10, 2013 View post tag: Navy View post tag: USSlast_img read more

European Union Urges Sanctions Against Nicaraguan Authorities

first_imgBy Julieta Pelcastre / Diálogo December 04, 2019 International organizations are exerting pressure to prevent more abuses from the Nicaraguan government and restore democracy.Nongovernmental organization (NGO) Human Rights Watch (HRW) urged the European Union (EU) to implement the individual sanctions presented on October 14, 2019, against President Daniel Ortega and six top members of the Nicaraguan Police, who are accused of committing multiple human rights violations.The EU established restrictive measures against people and entities responsible for human rights violations in Nicaragua, after the clampdowns on protests against the government that began in April 2018. According to a press release from the EU, political persecutions are still ongoing, and there are concerns over democratic governance.“Now that the EU has a new legal framework to sanction Nicaraguan authorities, it should act promptly,” José Miguel Vivanco, HRW director for the Americas, told the press. “Pressure is crucial to prevent more abuses and ensure that actions constituting serious crimes are punished in accordance with international law.”Some of the restrictive measures include travel bans to the EU and asset freezes for individuals and some entities. Private individuals and companies in the EU are also prohibited from making funds available to those designated on the list. The sanctions are specific and were designed to not hurt the Nicaraguan population.Protesters light candles outside Managua’s cathedral on October 3, 2019, to demand the liberation of political prisoners and justice for those who died in protests against Daniel Ortega. (Photo: Inti Ocon / AFP)“Although Ortega seems not to have problems with this sort of mechanism, it’s a harsh blow against him, his family, and his support base, because they conduct their financial transactions in Europe. Ortega will be incapable of further enriching his support base, especially the businessmen who support him,” Eliseo Núñez, an attorney specializing in public policies and statutory law, told Diálogo from Managua. “We trust that the new European Council will soon apply the penalties agreed on by the 28 EU members.”The measure would also have economic repercussions for the country, as European businessmen would have little interest in establishing commercial relations with sanctioned officials, Carlos Tünnermann, chief negotiator for the NGO Alianza Cívica Nicaragua, told Spanish news agency EFE. He added: “The government has the opportunity to halt sanctions if it resumes negotiations to find a solution to the crisis.” The measures are a political blow, said pro-government online news portal El 19 Digital.The penalties the EU proposed would add to those the United States and Canada have imposed.In December 2018, the Organization of American States’ Inter-American Commission on Human Rights reported that the regime’s “brutal repression” left 300 dead and thousands exiled. Since then, the Nicaraguan government has intensified persecutions against civil society and freedom of the press, shut down media outlets, and banned several international organizations that monitored the human rights situation in the country.“To achieve Ortega’s exit, dissidents and the international community must intensify the pressure against the Nicaraguan government until democracy in the country is restored,” Núñez said.“The most important international actor to do this is the United States,” Enrique Sáenz, political analyst and former president of the Sandinista Renovation Movement, told Nicaraguan newspaper La Prensa. “The regime will only cede to internal pressure and international sanctions,” he concluded.last_img read more

West Indies quicks excite Estwick ahead of England Tests

first_imgJulian GUYERLondon (AFP) – The West Indies are showing signs that they are developing a pace attack that could stand comparison with the great Caribbean sides of the past, assistant coach Roddy Estwick said on Monday.The West Indies were world cricket’s dominant team from the mid-1970s to the 1990s when they could call on a succession of superb fast bowlers including Michael Holding, Malcolm Marshall, Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh.Their quicks also played a key role when the West Indies beat England 2-1 in the Caribbean last year.Kemar Roach, Shannon Gabriel, Alzarri Joseph and captain Jason Holder are all in the Caribbean tour party for the Test series in England.The squad are quarantining in Manchester because of the coronavirus as they prepare for the three-match series, which starts next month.Estwick said the West Indies were “beginning to get blessed with fast bowlers again” but urged against premature comparisons with earlier generations.“We’ve got four fast bowlers we think can challenge any team in the world,” he said in a conference call.“I don’t know about living up to the greats, they’ve got to forge their own identity.”“We’ve (also) got a group of youngsters coming through,” he added, citing Chemar Holder and Oshane Thomas.Estwick, a former Barbados paceman, said the new crop of were showing the stamina displayed by previous generations.“What we’ve done is improve our fitness,” he said. “Now you can sustain pressure. If you look back at the 80s, that’s one thing the fast bowlers had.”The West Indies also had formidable strength in depth in their golden era.“When I played first-class cricket in the 80s, we had six outstanding fast bowlers,” recalled Estwick.“But the likes of Wayne Daniel and Sylvester Clarke only played 10 and 11 Tests and yet they both had about 900 first-class wickets each.”Next month’s series will be played behind closed doors as a precaution against the spread of COVID-19 but Estwick said England new-ball veterans Stuart Broad and James Anderson would be just as dangerous without home support.“The ’12th man’ isn’t going to be there but I don’t think experienced bowlers like Broad and Anderson will be too fazed by the crowd not being there,” he said.Estwick said there had been some benefits to the quarantine restrictions.“It’s a different situation but we’ve spent a bit more time as a group together. The spirit has been good. We’ve got no complaints with the way things have gone so far. The excuses stop now.”last_img read more

Manchester City owners sell share in parent company

first_imgThe planning process will last beyond the end of the current season. The City Football Group, which owns teams Manchester City, New York City and Melbourne City, is now valued at almost £2 billion.Meanwhile Chelsea have submitted planning permission to expand their Stamford Bridge stadium capacity to 60,000 seats.The venue currently has a limit of 41,000.last_img

Burgess book place in North Tipp SHC semis

first_imgThey beat Borrisokane 2-20 to 0-16 and go on to meet Kilruane McDonaghs in the last four.That match will take place in Nenagh on Sunday.In Round 2 of the West Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship Eire Og Annacarty/Donohill won by a solitary point against Knockavilla Kickham. The final scoreline in the victors’ favour was 2-16 to 1-18.last_img

Dodgers might only need to replace injured Hyun-Jin Ryu twice in April

first_imgGLENDALE, Ariz. >> As the Dodgers awaited the results of an MRI exam on Hyun-Jin Ryu’s left shoulder, manager Don Mattingly provided clarity Monday about how often he’ll actually need five starting pitchers in April.In short: Not often.Because of some early off days, the Dodgers wouldn’t need Ryu until April 13 or 14 against the Seattle Mariners at home, then again April 23 or 24 in San Francisco, Mattingly said. That rules out the left-hander for a minimum of one start, since he’ll begin the season on the 15-day disabled list.It also rules out left-hander Erik Bedard from making one or two starts, depending on his recovery from a strained left teres major muscle. “(Bedard) said he’d had (the injury) before and it was like three weeks,” Mattingly said, “but I knew (Clayton) Kershaw was longer than that.”The strained teres major, a muscle near the armpit, seemed to be a contagious disease among Dodgers pitchers last year. Kershaw missed all of April 2014 because of it. Brandon League was shut down early in last year’s camp for a few weeks, and Paco Rodriguez spent 40 days on the disabled list between August and September.That doesn’t bode well for Bedard, who was bidding for a spot starter’s role before he felt something in his back Friday.It helps the cause of non-roster invitees Chad Gaudin and David Huff, both of whom went through a normal routine Monday. They’re essentially competing with Joe Wieland, Mike Bolsinger and Carlos Frias for a chance to start two games in April.Tommy John updates Dodgers pitchers Chris Withrow and Ross Stripling have been progressing slowly but surely in their returns from Tommy John elbow surgeries last year.Withrow (on the 60-day DL) played catch from 70 feet Monday and expects to be throwing up to 80 feet by the end of the week. He’s throwing every other day and has not experienced any setbacks so far in camp.Stripling (who isn’t on the 40-man roster) is rehabbing in the Dodgers’ minor-league camp and said he’ll throw his first live bullpen session in eight days — one year to the day after his surgery.“I’ll probably throw three weeks’ worth of those,” Stripling said. “I’ll mix in an extended spring training game at the end of April, early May, then from there it’s just build up to the 85, 100 pitches. I’m kind of looking to join an affiliate around June 1.”Withrow had his surgery June 3, Stripling on April 2.McCarthy sharpBrandon McCarthy sounded upbeat after throwing 75 pitches over five scoreless innings in a Triple-A game at Camelback Ranch. The right-hander elected to avoid the Dodgers’ major-league game against his former team, the Arizona Diamondbacks, in favor of the more “controlled” setting of the minor-league fields.It was no coincidence that he skipped a chance at seeing a divisional opponent. The Dodgers and Diamondbacks will play 19 times during the regular season.“It just kind of worked out, getting at least one (game) in the minor leagues because I can work at my own pace, feel the things I need to feel,” McCarthy said. “Two, it worked right there where I get to build up; that 75-pitch, 80-pitch outing is a big one. You want to make sure you get to that threshold and get your ups and downs. It’s controlled. And it’s missing a division opponent. This is a perfect one where if I’m going to skip one, let’s do this. That way I can go into my next one and be ready to go.”Five days after he was shelled for six runs in four innings against the Cubs, McCarthy said he was pleased by his latest results. “I was working on pace, delivery, rhythm,” he said. “I got that out of that and felt really strong.”AlsoThe Dodgers optioned left-hander Daniel Coulombe to their minor-league camp after the game. They have 40 players on their major-league camp roster. … The Dodgers have an off day today and will use an assortment of relief pitchers to complete a “bullpen game” Wednesday against San Diego. … Angels pitcher Garrett Richards threw four hitless innings in a Triple-A rehab game. He will begin the season on the DL in order to build up arm strength as he recovers from season-ending knee surgery. … Angels right-hander Nick Tropeano, a candidate for the open fifth starter’s job, will start against the Cleveland Indians on Wednesday. Left-hander Hector Santiago will start a “B” game that day.center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more